Holistic Dentistry: a better way
Now, more than ever before, people are actively seeking out natural and organic alternatives for their health care. This revolution in thinking can be seen across the board. People make healthier food choices and look for more beneficial products and services for home, life, and medical care. This trend has also crossed over into the dental industry.
Biological or holistic dentistry seeks to enhance your teeth and gums to improve the overall health of your entire body because everything is connected. Keep reading if you would like to learn more about the benefits of choosing holistic dental care!
What does “holistic” mean?
The word holistic comes from the Greek term ‘holos,’ which in English means whole. In short, holistic means that a system is analyzed as a “whole” and NOT as separate components.
This term can be applied in different disciplines, education, psychology, biology, and more, but we will be exploring holistic dentistry.
What is Holistic Dentistry?
Holistic dentistry sees the mouth as an integrated part of the body; it considers oral health an integral relationship with total body health. Holistic dentistry takes into account the total well-being of the patient.
“Holistic dentistry” is commonly referred to as biological dentistry, alternative dentistry, and integrative dentistry. All are focused on helping you to achieve complete wellness.
While holistic dentistry promotes best practices in oral healthcare such as: brushing your teeth, flossing, and regular cleaning, this is where the similarities between traditional and holistic dentistry end.
For years, conventional dentistry has used mercury, causing “heavy metal toxicity,” which has been linked to headaches, nausea, fatigue, and long-term damage to the nervous system. On the other hand, a holistic dentist never uses mercury. Instead, we use only biocompatible materials that will not interfere with your natural energy flow. Not so fun fact: Our clinic has been mercury-free since 1998 but the United States FDA just acknowledged it in 2020, more than 20 years later.
If a patient has mercury amalgams, a holistic dentist will recommend removal and take all necessary precautions to remove them safely, following Huggins’ and IAOMT (International Academy of Oral Medicine and Technology) protocols.
How is holistic dentistry applied in safe amalgam removal?
Following the guidelines of the Huggins Protocol, we seek to avoid patient contamination by safely eliminating mercury-containing amalgams because when the dentist works on a tooth, it can release a cloud of heavy metals and other toxins.
By using the recommended security measures, we will protect you and our team from toxicities.
Our techniques include:
- An activated charcoal chewable tablet: the charcoal will bind to any heavy metal released in your mouth to avoid absorption through the mucous membrane.
- A rubber band strategically placed in your tooth will isolate it from the rest of your mouth to avoid contamination.
- Double suction is used below and above the rubber band to absorb any microscopic particles at different levels.
- An ionizer placed inside the room will neutralize dangerous air particles.
- A special aspirator machine is placed close to your mouth to attract the polluted air leaving formed by the amalgam destruction.
- A superficial nasal cannula will give you pure oxygen during the procedure.
- Air ozone will be used to kill any dangerous microorganism from your tooth.
If you want to learn more about this procedure, visit What is safe mercury amalgam removal?
What is the difference between conventional dentists and holistic dentists?
Both dentists must first obtain a degree in general dentistry; however, the holistic dentist must receive further training as procedures and goals are different!
- Traditional treatments: A standard dentist will only focus on fixing the problems inside of your mouth regardless of the rest of your body.
- Traditional materials: Conventional dentistry will use conventional materials. Those can be non-biocompatible, such as mercury and silver can be used.
- Holistic treatments: We see you as a whole by looking at the big picture. We are not in the masking-problems industry; we will take the time to fully understand your needs and goals, making sure to take care of ALL of you. We believe that each of your teeth is connected to an organ of your body.
- Biocompatible Materials: In holistic dentistry, we use biocompatible materials in all of our procedures.
As a holistic dentistry clinic, at American Biodental Center, we offer first-rate minimally invasive treatments and technologies:
Our holistic clinic offers:
- 3D X-rays
- An on-site laboratory fully dedicated to non-toxic and biocompatible materials.
- CAD/CAM technology allows us to offer more accurate and efficient solutions thanks to high-quality live images of your mouth.
When you choose to visit our holistic team, you can expect individual, professional, and caring holistic dental treatments.
Remember, it is not just about your teeth; it is about ALL OF YOU!
Want to learn more about our holistic dentistry services?